On 3rd of September 1799 the Committee ordered that the 17 perches of John Day's Close on the west side of the canal near to the future site of Moor's Bridge should be taken to build a cottage for the overseer. On 23rd October the toll-collector was told to see to its erection. At the end of 1828, Samuel Straw, already in the Company's employment at a weekly wage of £1, was granted occupation of a new house near Stanton Lane (possibly replacing the Overseers house?) The bridge of Derby Road at Moor's marked where a short section of 'old tramway' with several coal pits ran near the Nutbrook Canal, possibly belonging to Whitehouse & Sons, proprietors of the Prior Field Collieries and Furnaces in Staffordshire and West Hallam.
Bibliographic reference: Stevenson, P. 1970. The Nutbrook Canal, Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4529 4124 (164m by 63m)
WEST HALLAM, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2015 9:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.