Following a walkover survey in 1997, areas of earthworks thought to be of archaeological significance were investigated further. Stone and brick post medieval industrial buildings were identified along with an associated rail or tramway. There was also a capped mine shaft at the end of the rail. It appeared that there was soil evidence of railway sleepers at regular intervals where they may have been left to rot in situ or removed for another use. Sanderson's map of 1835 indicates there was a rail line in this area, however the line is shown further north than the remains (possibly SMR 21844). It could be concluded, therefore, that the rail found was a service branch of the northerly line to the buildings excavated. Sanderson marks a number of shafts in the area, (possibly the branch line serving one of these shafts,) however equally these may have gone out of use prior to Sanderson's map being made. (1)
Unpublished document: Richards, G & Challis, K (TPAU). 2002. Forge and Monument, Codnor, archaeological watching brief, interim report 2001.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4368 5001 (70m by 53m)
ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2015 10:17AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.