Park was started in 1898 when the footpath land was bought by the district council and it created a riverside promenade. The rest of the fields were bought in 1908 and local architect John Nuttall was commissioned to design the park. Hall Leys Park was opened on June 23rd 1911 to celebrate the Coronation of George V. The public toilets were opened in 1912 and the pavillion was completed in 1913, along with two tennis courts and croquet facilities. The boating lake was added in 1935 and the miniature railway in 1948. (1)
Unpublished document: Derbyshire Evening Telegraph. 2005. 'Restored to its former splendour', Derbyshire Evening Telegraph, 23rd April, 2005.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2995 6004 (304m by 326m)
MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2022 5:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.