Monument record MDR15271 - Walton Mill (site of) and mill pond, Walton, Chesterfield
Type and Period (5)
- CORN MILL (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- WATERMILL (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- MILL POND (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- COACH HOUSE (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- OUTBUILDING (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- None recorded
There is a corn mill named Walton Mill and an associated mill pond situated at this location on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. It is still in use by the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century. (1, 2) The miller at Walton Mill in 1895 was Isaac Hay. (3) In Walton Road, south of the main road, a coach house and outbuildings are all that remain of the 18th century Walton Corn Mill. (4) The coach house and outbuildings mentioned by Authority 4 may be those that can be seen from Walton Road on Google Maps Street View . They are roofless and have boarded up windows. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p. 83.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p. 151.
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 02/04/2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3641 7046 (452m by 240m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2017 12:04PM