Monument record MDR15280 - Bleach works and bleaching ground (site of), Walton, Chesterfield
Type and Period (2)
- BLEACH WORKS (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1830 AD)
- BLEACHFIELD (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
There is a bleach works situated here on the River Hipper on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. There is also an associated bleaching ground to the south-west. By the 2nd edition OS map of c. 1900, they no longer exist. (1, 2) In the 1830s in Walton, 'clusters of houses' had arisen along the banks of the River Hipper near to the Iron Works and Bleaching Works. (3) The site of the bleach works remains undeveloped . The site of the bleaching ground, however, is now covered by a housing estate. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20667 Bibliographic reference: Bestall, J M. 1978. History of Chesterfield. Vol. 3. Early Victorian Chesterfield.. p. 19.
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3586 7009 (135m by 470m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 2 2015 2:42PM