Monument record MDR1530 - Round Barrow (Site of), Calling Low, 370m west of Callinglow cottage, Youlgreave
Type and Period (3)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Roman to Saxon - 43 AD to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
SK 1762 6448. A second barrow on "Calling Lowe Farm", located "Nearer the Youlgreave and Buxton road" than SMR 15707, excavated by Bateman on 30th November 1846. At the centre of the barrow, 0.3 metres (one foot) below the natural level, Bateman discovered an inhumation in "stiff earth" accompanied by a "rude instrument" of burnt flint adjacent to the pelvis. Two inhumations had been displaced by the insertion of the aforementioned burial, the grave goods pertaining to these earlier burials may have been represented by two Beakers and animal bones. (1,2,10). Tumulus. (3). No remains visible. (5). A Neolithic to earlier Bronze Age possible round barrow situated on a low ridge overlooking Cales Dale and the Monyash basin. The barrow has been ploughed down, partly for quarrying; the remains are 12 metres long, five and half metres wide and 0.3 metres high. This mutilated mound is between 0.2 and 0.4 metres high, a wall crosses the site and the mound has been removed/ploughed out south-east of this. To the north-west it has been robbed and this edge has been quarried. (There is a possibility that the whole feature is a slight natural knoll and the excavations were elsewhere in the vicinity). (10). Photographic reference. (12).
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p99.
- <2> SDR9238 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, L. 1850. Manuscript. B42.
- <3> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <4> SDR6834 Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1955. 'The Transition from the late Neolithic to the Early Bronze Age', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 75, pp 77-112. p78.
- <5> SDR6372 Personal Observation: F1 JB 17-FEB-66.
- <6> SDR3963 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p102.
- <8> SDR10610 Index: NDAT. 2099. 2099.
- <9> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. B341.
- <10> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 8:12.
- <11> SDR20230 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 1995. Callinglow, Youlgreave, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1995. No.4, pp 8-9, illus..
- <12> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 15708.1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1763 6448 (65m by 58m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 23 2015 11:56AM