Site record MDR1533 - Round barrow (site of), south of Long Rake, Middleton and Smerrill
Type and Period (3)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 1535 6380. Excavated by Bateman on 15th March 1848, although the position of his trench is unstated. He discovered a skeleton near the surface which had been disturbed by the plough. An oval cist was found, "sunk a few inches beneath the level of the soil" (old ground surface). It was constructed from ten stones, five large and five small, and contained a contracted inhumation, a female adult, lying on its left side. The skeleton of a child c. four years, had been placed above the adult burial "rather behind her shoulders". Near to the adult inhumation was a cow's tooth, whilst round the neck of the burial was a jet necklace. The latter was composed of 420 pieces: 348 beads, 54 cylindrical, 10 'V' perforated studs and eight plates. Bateman described the barrow as small, low, ploughed down. The site would appear to be now ploughed out. (2,3,10). Human Remains & necklace found. (5). Tumulus (site of). (6). A slight unsurveyable mound with a maximum height of 0.2 metres. (7). The precise site of the barrow is uncertain, Bateman describes it as "about fifty yards southeast of the last" [SMR 10135]. There is no recognisable extant barrow here. Various low undulations in the field may well be natural and the barrow cannot be distinguished from amongst them. (10).
- <1> SDR2980 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1855. Descriptive Catalogue of the Antiquities at Lomberdale House. G113, P103.
- <2> SDR13770 Unpublished document: Bateman, T. Descriptions of, and Observations on, Further Discoveries in the Barrows of Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 24-26.
- <4> SDR7282 Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. p61.
- <5> SDR11728 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 25".
- <6> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <7> SDR6372 Personal Observation: F1 JB 17-FEB-66.
- <8> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p72.
- <9> SDR10546 Index: NDAT. 1511. 1511.
- <10> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 8:31.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1541 6383 (177m by 162m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2020 1:56PM