Described as 'small barrow about thirty yards from the outer circle' of the Arbor Low Henge. It was excavated by Bateman on the 8th October 1844. He located a rock cut grave about four foot deep that had already been opened. His only discovery was 'a piece of oxidised iron, which has the appearance of having been the socket of a spear-head'. (2)
A small bowl barrow, 12½ metres in diameter and 0.6 metres maximum height, with no visible ditch. (3)
Re-surveyed at 1/2500. Situated at SK 16116352, report of 19th August 1952 correct. (6)
This small unploughed barrow is ½ metre high upslope to the south and 0.7 metres downslope to the north. It is 11½ metres long, 10½ metres in breadth and 0.6 metres high. It has a central disturbance entered from the north. As Bateman usually backfilled, this is likely to be the disturbance prior to 1844 that he noted. Although the possible spear-head socket has been claimed as Anglian in date, it could equally well have been introduced by previous excavators and does not, therefore, date the barrow. (10,11)
Arbor Low became a scheduled monument on the 15th April 1994. The monument is a roughly circular bowl barrow situated 30 metres east of the henge at Arbor Low in the central uplands of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. It includes a mound with a diameter of 11½ metres by 10½ metres and a height of c.¾ metre. A partial excavation was carried out by Thomas Bateman in 1844 when a corroded piece of iron was found in a rock cut grave and interpreted as a spear socket. The item indicates the use of the barrow in the Romano-British or Anglian periods but it has not been confirmed that the barrow was built at this time. Its close proximity to Arbor Low henge and stone circle, and to other Prehistoric barrows, suggests it may have originated in the Bronze Age. (11)
Visits to site between 1995 and 2008 showed no real damage from erosion. (13)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1844. A Narrative of the Opening of Some of the Derbyshire Barrows in the Summer of 1844.
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p57.
Personal Observation: F1 FC 19-AUG-52.
Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1994. Scheduling Notification: Bowl Barrow East of Arbor Low. 12503. Cat. No.: 342.
Unpublished document: Wheal, S (PDNPA). 2008. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Bowl Barrow East of Arbor Low.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1611 6352 (21m by 19m) (Centre)
MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (9)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2020 1:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.