New Hall built by Richard Arkwright in 1790 and Judge Newall lived there before the Second World War. In the two World Wars the Hall was commandeered by the Ministry of Defence and occupied by the Army. In 1946 and 1947 it was purchased by Derbyshire County Council for use as a maternity hospital. Relinquished by the National Health Authority in 1990, it is now a private residential home. (1)
Darley Hall is a grade II listed late 18th century plain square mansion in extensive grounds. It is built of ashlar and is of three storeys. It is three sash windows wide, with a three-light angular bay on the right-hand side. The windows generally have glazing bars, except those in the facade, which has a Roman Doric porch. The building has a parapet and a hipped slate roof. (2)
Site is not to be confused with:
Darley Hall or Nether Darley Hall (site of), Darley Dale, (SMR 9815)
Darley Old Hall (site of), Churchtown, Darley Dale (SMR 9816)
Bibliographic reference: Jackson, L. 2002. Darleys in the Dale: Echoes from the Valley.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1248136.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2765 6314 (29m by 31m)
DARLEY DALE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 16 2016 2:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.