? (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD to 1750 AD?)
Loading documents & images
Three natural hollows, each with a built pond in the base. While these might be at least part-natural, the presence of a 'bank' of material to the east of the central pond suggests the possibility that they were open-cast, pipe-working lead mines. The central pond at least is likely to have already been a long-established stock-watering place by 1804, as an access route was built so that it could continue to be used communally even after the moor was enclosed. (1)
Only able to find one pond clearly visible on map and satellite imagery. (2,3)
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. Bank Top Farm, Hartington Town Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey 1991. Feature 26, p. 5.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Site accessed 10/04/2015..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 1316 6159 (point)
HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 28 2016 4:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.