Skip to main content

Monument record MDR15463 - Track, Mayfields Farm, Litton

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1780 AD to 1850 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Track built between 1786 and 1846, and probably after 1835. Marked on the 1847 tithe-map as 'Mr Newton's private road'. The Newton family were connected with Litton from 1786 onwards, though it was not until 1835 that there was a strong link with Litton mill (see SMR 9421) when Henry Newton became manager of the mill (1,2,3,4).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. Bankfield House (Tideswell), Littonslack, Litton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1991. Feature 24 p. 4.
  • <2> Article in serial: Mackenzie, M. 1968. 'Cressbrook and Litton Mills, 1779-1835', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 88.
  • <3> Article in serial: Chapman, S. 1969. 'Cressbrook and Litton Mills, an alternative view', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 89.
  • <4> Article in serial: Mackenzie, M. 1970. 'Cressbrook and Litton Mills: a reply', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 90.



Grid reference Centred SK 1609 7323 (103m by 270m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3731

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 16 2015 12:22PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.