SK 1718 6260. The barrow is located on land known as Garratt Piece, about half a mile south-east of Arbor Low. The barrow was cut into by the farmer in 1788 to obtain stone for lime burning. At the centre on the old ground surface was an extended inhumation orientated east-west. The burial was accompanied by a bronze hanging bowl, two enamelled escutcheons and part of an iron shield boss. (1,5).
The disturbed mound was excavated by William Bateman on June 19th 1826, when he recovered animal bones (one burnt) and an antler tine. It was excavated again by Thomas Bateman on October 5th 1847, when he found further antler tines, 'instruments' of flint and bone and sherds of 'light coloured, kiln baked pottery'. (2,3,13).
Tumulus (site of). (6). (Human remains. Enamelled Ornament &c. found). (7).
One of the escutcheons has a trumpet pattern of the type which most authorities nowadays refer to the 7th century. A likely date for the bowl would seem to be the third quarter or, at all events, not before 640. (8).
No remains of the barrow were identified in 1966. (10).
Barnatt's survey located a mound which might represent the remains of the barrow, although it was not identified with any certainty, as it could also be a limekiln (there is a definite limekiln nearby). The description of the excavation in 1826 stated that it was in a 'new plantation on Garratt Piece'. There are four small plantations and two shelter beds on Garratt Piece and the barrow may have been elsewhere - the others were not examined. The plantation containing the extant mound is heavily quarried and has a limekiln adjacent to the mound. The mound itself has pits at its centre and its edges are truncated to east and west by quarries. It is 0.7 metres high from the north and south and approximately nine metres in diameter. Several immature trees are growing on it. Although the flint and bone implements could be interpreted as residual, the antler tines suggest that the barrow had prehistoric origins. (11).
Article in serial: Pegge, S. 1789. 'Discoveries in opening a Tumulus in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 9. pp 189-191.
Archive: Bateman, T. 1843. Sheffield City Library MS: "A Description of Tumuli etc. Opened Principally at Middleton by Youlgreave in the County of Derby from 1821 to 1832 by William Bateman Esq FAS. - in T.Bateman, Collectania Antiqua, section 15..
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. pp 24-25,34,105.
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1855. Descriptive Catalogue of the Antiquities at Lomberdale House. G100, H4, H32.
Bibliographic reference: Ward, J. 1905. 'Anglo-Saxon remains', The Victoria County History of Derbyshire, Vol. I. pp 265-277.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXVIII.9, 1898.
Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7. pp 22-23.
Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 22-MAR-66.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. pp 73-74.
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 1495. 1495.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 8:10.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1717 6261 (41m by 33m) (Centre)
MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2009 3:16PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.