Monument record MDR15538 - Strutt's former private coach road from Belper to Ambergate, Wyver Lane, Belper/Alderwasley

Type and Period (1)

  • (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1817 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

A private coach road had been developed by Strutt (probably in association with Hurt and Arkwright), which ran along the west bank of the river north of Belper, at least as far as the Halfpenny Bridge at Ambergate. It is clearly shown on an estate plan of 1828, and is labelled 'the old Bradley Road and Coach Road to Cromford; now changed'. Bradley Road is now known as Wyver Lane and the square planned building at the end of Wyver Lane (Weir Lodge) may have had a dual function, controlling gated access to the private road. This road was documented by Farey in 1817: 'A good road exists at present up the Vale of the Derwent, from Duffield to Belper-bridge [see SMR 99050], from whence it would be very important to the public that a good road should be made up the west side of the river to Cromford, nearly along the line of a private carriage-way, between these places, belonging to Messrs. Strutts, Charles Hurt, and Richard Arkwright, Esqrs…'. The final route chosen for the Belper to Cromford Turnpike was clearly on the east side of the river, from Broadholme [see SMR 99062]. (1, 2) Wyver Lane can be traced from Belper Bridge all the way to Lawn Cottage on modern OS mapping. Lawn Cottage is named 'Mill Hay Lawn' on Sanderson's map of 1835. On this map, the track can be seen to continue on and to the west of 'Dairy Farm' (now Dairywood Farm), then joining Whitewells Road, which turns down to Halfpenny Bridge at Ambergate. (3, 4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2005. Summaries of Historic Transport Networks in the Derwent Valley World Heitage Site. pp. 3-4.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Farey, J. 1817. A General View of the Agriculture and Minerals of Derbyshire Vol. 3. Volume III. p. 226.
  • <3> Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3432 4936 (771m by 2252m)
Civil Parish ALDERWASLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.