Monument record MDR1555 - Round barrow, Long Gallery Plantation, Middleton and Smerrill
Type and Period (2)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 1857 6151. The site is located "in the immediate neighbourhood" of the Kenslow Knoll barrow [SMR 10120]. Excavated on 18th May 1825 by William Bateman and Samuel Mitchell, they discovered a rock cut grave (3), or natural depression (7), containing a few human bones [?Anglian], two iron knives (source 7 indicates a spearhead), two pieces of iron (no reference in source 7) and much charcoal. (1,3,6,8,15). Tumulus. (9). Published survey (25") revised. (11). The mound is located on the crest of a ridge with good visibility in the western half. It has had much of its interior removed; the rim is 0.3 to 0.4 metres high. The mound has three dead trees on it. The plantation was created in 1825 and the robbing of the interior probably predates this. Given the robbing of the site the grave may have been disturbed previously. (15).
- <1> SDR13703 Unpublished document: Mitchell, S. 1842. Memoranda Dated 26-12-1842, in T. Bateman Correspondence, vol.2..
- <2> SDR2893 Unpublished document: Bateman, T. 1843. 'A Description of Tumuli Opened by Thomas Bateman Esq. of Bakewell in the summer of 1843', Collectania Antiquia. Section 17. p59.
- <3> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p33.
- <4> SDR9231 Bibliographic reference: MS: Bateman, T. 1848, p23..
- <5> SDR2980 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1855. Descriptive Catalogue of the Antiquities at Lomberdale House. H10.
- <6> SDR9249 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, W. 1821-1832. A Description of Tumuli etc. Opened Principally at Middleton by Youlgreave. Section 15.
- <7> SDR7282 Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. p220.
- <8> SDR16210 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1908. 'Notes on some Derbyshire antiquities from Samuel Mitchell's memoranda', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 30, pp 155-172. p166.
- <9> SDR11765 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <10> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites.
- <11> SDR6372 Personal Observation: F1 JB 17-FEB-66.
- <12> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p74.
- <13> SDR10533 Index: NDAT. 1497. 1497.
- <14> SDR8270 Unpublished document: Lewis, G (University of Liverpool). 1970. The Bronze Age in the Southern Pennines. p404.
- <15> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 8:20.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1858 6151 (17m by 16m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2009 10:59AM