Building record MDR15581 - The Old School House, Twyford Road, Twyford

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1842 AD to 1842 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A grade II listed former school; now a house. It was built in 1842 of red brick with sandstone dressings. It has a Welsh slate roof with stone coped gables, a brick gable stack and a brick bellcote. It has a chamfered stone plinth, and is of a single storey. The east elevation has two two-light casements in moulded stone surrounds. There is a similar elevation to the west. The gabled south elevation has a blocked ogee-arched doorway flanked by ovolo moulded stone cross windows with diamond lights. There is a stone shield above that has the inscription: 'This School Room / in connection with the /Church of England / was built by / Public subscription /on a site presented by / Sir G Crewe Bart / AD MDCCXLII'. It was converted into a house in 1979 by the Derbyshire Historic Buildings Trust. (1) Twyford School Room was subject to a measured and drawn survey by R Bewers and L Doherty in 1978, prior to its conversion to residential use. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE no: 1096518.
  • <2> Graphic material: Bewers, R & Doherty, L. 1978. Set of plans of Twyford School Room, prior to conversion to residential use.



Grid reference Centred SK 3264 2881 (6m by 11m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

May 5 2015 4:16PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.