House built in 1907 by Sir Edwin Lutyens in late 17th century style. Red brick, plain tile hipped roofs with two brick ridge stacks, two stacks in the pitch of the roof and an external stack to west with decorative brick work. Brick quoins and first and second floor bands extending from the quoins. Two storeys. Irregular L-plan. South elevation of two-three-two bays, half H-plan. The ground floor has six segmental arched wooden cross windows. Six 2-light casements above under flat arches. In the return walls of the projecting ends are glazed doors under keyed brick lintels. East elevation of two-two-three-two bays, again with half 'H' projections. The ground floor has seven cross windows, plus three on the return walls and the first floor has nine 2-light casements, plus three on the return walls; all as to the south elevation. All the windows have square pane leaded lights and wrought iron casements. Irregular north west elevation forms the inner side of the 'L'. The main entrance, in the angle, has been altered. Casement windows, mostly to the first floor, with two 2-light and a 3-light dormer. Single storey service rooms and outbuildings to north, around a courtyard. Round arched gateway to west, the gate with quatrefoil window and elaborate wrought iron hinge. Interior: Much altered. The ground floor has several plain moulded stone chimneypieces. In the sitting room the cupboard originally from the butler's pantry. Broad first floor corridor with moulded round arch to one side. Four moulded stone chimneypieces. (1)
In 1857 Francis Sumner bought a house on this site which he rebuilt and named East View House. Francis Sumner is perhaps considered one of the most prominent leaders and industrialists of the 19th century. He bought Wren Nest Mill in 1827 and introduced the steam engine to the mill in 1829. He became the first mayor of Glossop in 1866 and later High Sheriff of Derbyshire. On his death in in 1884 Edward Partington bought East View House and renamed it Easton House. Edward Partington came to Glossop in 1873 and was a considerable personality within Glossopdale, building the paper making complex at Turn Lees Mill. In 1925 Easton House was sold to Theodore Ellison who lived there until 1940. (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Correspondence: Brooks, J. 2009. Information regarding Easton House, 25th November, 2009. Email.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3034 2654 (21m by 31m)
REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 4:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.