Maritime record MDR15723 - Former chert quarry, Moor Road, Great Longstone

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

As early as 1784 chert was being quarried from land called Scratter situated near Great Longstone at SK 197 724, alongside what is known as Chert Pit Lane, which leads northwardly out of the village. This land was then owned by Robert Thornhill (1740-1820), and three sets of his accounts still survive. The produce of the Great Longstone chert quarries was sold to many of the famous potteries in Staffordshire and Yorkshire, but none in Derbyshire. Deeds concerning Scratter Close during the third quarter of the 19th century do not mention chert working, but on 24th May 1894 an agreement was drawn up by George Thomas Wright of Longstone Hall, esquire, as a trustee of the Longstone Hall estate, granting permission to Joshua Millington of Calver, quarryman, to search for chert on land east of Chert Pit Lane. The report of the Inspector of Mines for 1906 states that Scratter Quarry was then being worked for limestone by Derbyshire County Council. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Article in serial: Bowering, G & Flindall, R. 1998. 'Hard times: a history of the Derbyshire chert industry', Mining History: The Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 13, No. 5, pp 24-25. pp. 27-8; fig. 11.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1973 7239 (45m by 195m)
Civil Parish GREAT LONGSTONE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 22 2015 2:30PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.