Skip to main content

Monument record MDR15863 - Quarry (remains of), Cow Low, Chapel-en-le-Frith

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Earthworks that appear to relate to quarrying activity appear at this location on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. They are situated immediately adjacent to Cow Low bowl barrow [see SMR 3513]. The earthworks are still extant on modern OS mapping and are visible on Google Maps aerial photographs. (1-3) There are a number of small-scale quarrying and lime-burning sites in this area, and it is likely that these earthworks represent the same. Lime was often spread on fields to improve soil fertility. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
  • <3> *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. Website viewed 03/09/2015.
  • <4> Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..



Grid reference Centred SK 0655 7868 (26m by 25m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 3 2015 11:40AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.