Monument record MDR1592 - Newhaven Railway Tunnel, Cromford & High Peak Railway, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY TUNNEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1825 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 151 629. The Newhaven railway tunnel goes under the Ashbourne to Buxton road. It has masonry portals inscribed on the western side with Jessop Engineer and the Cromford and High Peak Railway coat of arms and on the other, with a wagon and the date 1825. (1) Tunnel with cutting (SMR 7095) on either side; cut through limestone with the A515 passing over the top. The tunnel is approximately five metres wide and 40 metres long. From the ground, the tunnel appears to be more of a bridge. The tunnel is approximately six metres high, but the entire tunnel/bridge structure is approximately 12.15 metres high. The tunnel is constructed from dressed limestone blocks held together with mortar. Iron fittings can still be seen at the south end of the tunnel for holding telegraph wires. There are inscriptions at either end of the tunnel, carrying the name of the Cromford & High Peak Railway, the date is 1825, Joseph Jessop Esq. Engineer & William Brittle Bank Esq. (2) Tunnel carrying the CHPR under the Buxton-Ashbourne Road. Two different stone plaques dated 1825 on portals. (10)
- <1> SDR3852 Bibliographic reference: 1975. Council of British Archaeology Panel on Industrial Monuments. 6.
- <2> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 243.
- <3> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 325-327.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVIII.9.
- <5> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p23.
- <6> SDR19339 Article in serial: Baxter, B. 1949. 'Early railways in Derbyshire', Engineering. Vol. 167, pp 573-576. pp 575-576.
- <7> SDR19345 Article in serial: Marshall, J. 1981. 'High Peak Sesquicentenary, part one,' Railway Magazine. July edition, pp 322-325. p325, 425.
- <8> SDR10751 Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p57, 272.
- <9> SDR19348 Bibliographic reference: Nicholson, C P & Barnes, P. 1975. Railways in the Peak District. pp 15-16.
- <10> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 151 630 (100m by 100m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 2 2014 11:54AM