A Grade II listed building, said to have been built in 1832 as part of Milford Cotton Mill Complex [SDR17033], that represents a late development of William Strutt's methods of fire proof construction (he died in 1830). Built of coursed stone with a hipped slate roof, the two-storey building is L-shaped with the eastern wall veering slightly along the curving bank of the mill goit (goit now mostly in a culvert). It has a vaulted construction with brick floors above. Iron beams and cast iron columns are linked by wrought iron tie rods, with the spandrels filled with sand. It is eight bays long and two asymmetrical bays wide. The eastern facade has seven pairs of iron-framed Strutt windows, each with a centre casement. There are double loading-doors at a low 1st floor level at the north end of this facade. The building has been recently restored., and the south end of the Mill Goit was opened up during restoration. A new stone wall at the rear of this contains the mill bell of 1781. To the east of this are re-erected columns from the former Building 52, with a brick arch above, then stone gate piers and cast iron gates with bands, roundels and arms. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1087348.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.