Building record MDR16281 - 43, The Hill (B5036), Cromford Hill, Cromford

Type and Period (2)

  • (Georgian - 1767 AD to 1799 AD)
  • (Victorian - 1867 AD to 1899 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A Grade II listed late 18th century house, of two storeys, built of coursed rubble with large quoins on a plinth and under a Welsh slate roof. There are two windows to the first floor and external steps with simple iron railings to a central doorway having a part-glazed double door beneath a glazed canopy. Flanking two-light windows on each floor have six-pane wooden casement windows in square-faced surrounds with stone mullions. In addition there is a brick end chimney-stack on the left and later external end chimney-stack on the right. A c. 1900 room attached to the right forms a lean-to against the un-numbered house on the northern side of North Street. The building occupies an important position to one side of the entrance to North Street. See list description for further details. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1248500.



Grid reference Centred SK 2942 5677 (11m by 11m)
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.