A Grade II listed two-storey house, possibly late 17th or early 18th century, considerably altered and partially rebuilt in the 19th century. Built of coursed rubble under tiled roofs with 2 rendered roof-ridge chimney-stacks, originally to a three-unit plan set end-on to Cromford Hill. The roadside unit was replaced by a cross range in the early 19th century (present on the 1841 Tithe Map). The house front has a symmetrical two window range and all windows have large rectangular lintels and later-19th century four-pane horned sash windows. The left return is rendered. The rear range is the older part with irregular fenestration including one large two-light window with a renewed mullion and a late 20th century top-opener with small panes to the first floor, and two smaller ground-floor windows under large lintels flanking a broad doorway with a half-glazed door (this might mark the original entry). Internal evidence indicates that the 19th century range replaces one of the three original units. Included for group value with Nos 142-148 [SMR33901] and 150 [SMR33933], The Hill, Cromford Hill. It is one of a small number of houses that survive from the pre-Arkwright hamlet of Cromford. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1248912.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2919 5637 (14m by 9m)
CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.