Building record MDR16285 - 20-24, The Hill (B5036), Cromford Hill, Cromford

Type and Period (3)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
  • (Georgian to Hanoverian - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
  • (Victorian - 1867 AD to 1899 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A Grade II row of three (originally four) cottages, dated early 19th century (they are marked on the 1841 Tithe Map) with a later 19th century extension to the right. Built of coursed rubble to two storeys under Welsh slate roofs with three red and black brick roof-ridge chimney-stacks. No. 20 (with later extension, see vertical masonry joint) forms a three-window range overall, with regular fenestration, the ground-floor windows under large rectangular lintels. There is a door to the extension and four symmetrically placed sash windows to the right end wall. No. 22 has a double-fronted symmetrical two-window range with a raised panel double door. No. 24 has a blocked door to the right. There are horned sash windows to Nos 20 and 24, and hornless to No. 22. Although not part of the original Arkwright houses development this row makes an important contribution to the townscape situated opposite the entrance to North Street. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1248913.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2938 5679 (18m by 31m)
Civil Parish CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.