Monument record MDR1631 - Round barrow (2 of 2), Moneystones, Hartington Town Quarter
Type and Period (1)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 1517 6152. Tumulus. (1). Published surveys (25") are correct. (2). Smaller cairn approximatly 100 metres from the larger more mutilated cairn (SMR 7019). An excavation by T. Bateman on 15th July 1848 located two contracted inhumations at a depth of 0.9 metres [3 feet] on the natural rock. Each was accompanied by one "spearhead" of flint and were surrounded by flint flakes. Bateman described two artefacts as flint knives, an illustration in source  suggests one was a flake and the other a knife or a scraper. An unaccompanied inhumation was found near the surface at the centre of the barrow. (7,8). The southernmost barrow at Moneystones is a roughly circular cairn situated on the western upland ridges of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. The monument includes a mound measuring seven metres by seven and half metres surviving to a height of one metre and with a protruding kerb of limestone blocks. The monument is associated with a second bowl barrow, lying c.120 metres to the north-west. Partial excavation carried out by Thomas Bateman in 1848 revealed two crouched inhumations on the old land surface, accompanied by flint artefacts and flakes. From this, a Bronze Age date has been assigned to the barrow. A third skeleton was also found, lying towards the centre of the mound nearer to the surface. This skeleton had been buried at a later date than the others, indicating that the barrow had been in use over an extended period of time. (10).
- <1> SDR11786 Map: 1955. O.S. 6".
- <2> SDR6372 Personal Observation: F1 JB 17-FEB-66.
- <3> SDR10515 Index: NDAT. 1132. 1132.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p40.
- <5> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p40.
- <6> SDR13763 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. Description of, and Observations on, Futher Discoveries in the Barrows of Derbyshire.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7.27.
- <8> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 7020.1-2.
- <9> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 409.33A-34A.
- <10> SDR20177 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1992. Scheduling Notification: Moneystones Bowl Barrow. Cat. No.: 170a and 170b. Cat. No.:170.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1516 6152 (13m by 14m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 10 2015 9:03AM