Building record MDR16310 - Cromford Court, Derby Road, Matlock Bath

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A Grade II listed house, dated 1901 and originally built for J.T.W. Lawton, then the manager at Masson Mills. Restored between 1980-1990, the house is now a study centre. Built of ashlar, rendered brick and timber framed, the house has a plain tile roof with overhanging eaves and ornate barge boards, and twelve rendered chimney stacks with diagonal terracotta tops and terracotta tracery. The house has two storeys plus attics, with a deep chamfered plinth, moulded first floor band and ashlar ground floor. There are casement windows throughout. The main east front has a projecting central section with two canted bay windows flanking a single cross mullion window under a segmental arch, and to the left there is a projecting octagonal turret with a two-light casement and a copper spire. Please see list description for further details. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1272275.



Grid reference Centred SK 2928 5728 (27m by 38m)
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.