Building record MDR16312 - 171 and 173, The Hill, (B5036), Cromford Hill, Cromford

Type and Period (1)

  • (Stuart to Hanoverian - 1667 AD to 1832 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A late 17th or early 18th century Grade II listed building with later alterations and extensions, originally a farmhouse and now two houses. Built of roughly coursed rubble with tiled roofs and two storeys, the plan is of one long range with a lower front wing to the right. Originally a 3-unit, baffle-entry farmhouse of which the parlour survives (to the right), a vertical masonry joint to left of the entry indicates rebuilding of the late-18th or early-19th century. There are three ridge chimney-stacks to the long range and an end chimney stack to the wing, all of red brick. This building occupies a prominent position at the top of Cromford Hill and groups with Nos 142-148 [SMR 33901] and 150 opposite. It is one of the small number of houses that remain from the pre-Arkwright hamlet of Cromford. See list description for further details. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1277687.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2918 5633 (16m by 9m)
Civil Parish CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.