Monument record MDR16496 - Possible brick kilns and clay pit (site of), Trail View, Buxton Road, Ashbourne
Type and Period (2)
- BRICK KILN ? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLAY PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
What appeared to be six separate furnaces or kilns were identified during the excavation of service trenches at Trail View in late 2014. They were observed in conjunction with brick and clinker, and were about 6-7 feet below the ground surface. (1) There is an 'Old Clay Pit' situated just to the north of Trail View on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. The pit earthworks also appear on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880 but they are not labelled. It is quite possible that the features identified on site were post-medieval brick kilns associated with the former clay pit. (2, 3, 4)
- <1> SDR23649 Verbal communication: Anon. 2015. Personal communication to HER Officer 10/12/2015.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20769 Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1801 4765 (218m by 134m)|
|Civil Parish||OFFCOTE AND UNDERWOOD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 10 2015 5:20PM