The name Belper derives from 'beau repair', pleasant retreat, the name coinciding with the Norman developments at the site of the manor house. Despite its name, Belper was still a wild place in the mid thirteenth century. Between 1260 and 1266 Robert de Ferrers granted a toft and 68 acres of land at Heage to Norman Fitz Sylvester of Bingham for the service of driving wolves out of his lordship of Belper. The Inquisition Post Mortem of 1297 provided a sketch of Belper Ward, which included 'herbage in Laund'. The Laund, an area free of trees, is recognisable today by the place names Laund and Far Laund and its boundaries can be easily traced on the enclosure map and the first edition 6" OS map. It was separately paled before 1314, when repairs were made to the palings. Thirty-four acres of hay were made there at that date. (1)
A separate, larger area was enclosed as a laund away from Belper Park. Hay was made here in 1314 and money spent on palings. Today this is filled with houses but the name survives. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M, Woore, S, Crisp, B & Rich, B. 2005. Duffield Frith. History & Evolution of the Landscape of a Medieval Derbyshire Forest.. pp. 69-72.
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 34-5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3623 4860 (1499m by 1415m)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2020 10:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.