This ridge and furrow is the remains of a large ploughed block that formerly continued across the present drive in to Church Close but has now been ploughed out. These are therefore the ends of only half a dozen strips in the small paddock between the church and Home Farm, which abut against a broad but flat grassy headland, c. 8 metres wide and c. 85 metres in length. This headland later formed part of the Church Close boundary seen on Wyatt's 1761 plan. The remaining ploughed strips are no more than 20 metres in length but originally appear to have assumed a broad, curved plan that extended around the east and south sides of the church. Part of this system can also be found in the small plantation on the edge of the road outside Home Farm (SK 3715 2225), where seven strips abut against a similar broad headland. This ridge and furrow is an important indicator of the extent of the plough land within the parish, suggesting that ploughing was made almost up to the doors of the church. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. NT site no: 61, 151; p. 151.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3710 2230 (191m by 179m)
CALKE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 26 2016 10:32AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.