Monument record MDR1651 - Possible barrow (site of), Smerrill Moor, Middleton and Smerrill
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
There is an earthwork marked here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 that does not appear on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. It also appears on the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century. There is nothing marked at this site on modern OS mapping . (1-4) The Ordnance Survey show an unnamed mound at SK 1883 6083. Baird believes this to be the remains of a barrow opened in 1857. The feature is now represented by a scattered heap of stones and cannot be classified . (5) When the site was surveyed by Barnatt in 1988, it was deemed unlikely to have been the site of excavations by Bateman in 1855, as previously thought. These excavations are now attributed to SMR 31033. Barnett found no clear sign of a barrow at the site. It is therefore unclear whether this site was wrongly interpreted as a barrow by Ordnance Survey and is actually a fortuitous stone-scatter, or whether a better preserved barrow was present in the earlier 20th century. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <5> SDR21315 Personal Observation: Baird, J. 1966. Field Inspector's site visit. 17/06/1966.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 8:35.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1881 6082 (41m by 39m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 18 2012 11:49AM