Coton Park, now largely planted as part of the National Forest, is centred on Park Farm, in the south-eastern corner of Rosliston Parish, with much of its extent marked by parish boundaries. A significant bank and ditch can be seen where the park pale runs through the ancient woodland of Potter's Wood, but these are lost to ploughing towards Grangewood Farm. A further stretch of bank runs from Park Farm drive and through Top Wood, but is disrupted by the former colliery railway that crosses the parish boundary [SMR 22201], forming a loop to include woodland west of Woodside Farm. There is a beautifully drawn 16th century map held and the Derbyshire Record Office, which clearly shows Coton Park enclosed with a separate 'Launde' attached. Joined on to the park surrounded by wattle fences are Potter's Wood, Grange Wood and others. The date the park was created and by whom is uncertain. However, by the 13th century the two manors of Rosliston and Coton in the Elms seem to have been held by the same family, with Nicholas de Segrave in 1274 holding both for a knight's fee under Robert de Monte Alto. It was he who was granted free warren in both Rosliston and Coton in the Elms and so it could be that Coton Park was established by the Segraves. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 56-7.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2674 1508 (1418m by 1567m)
ROSLISTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 17 2022 2:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.