The presence of Q-pits within Leashaw Wood corrobrates with documentary evidence for white coal production at this location. A personal state ledger of Thomas Nightingale [held by the Derbyshire Record Office], states: 'In March 1738, Leashaw was cut and Whitecole sent to Cowhay Mills was 164 fodders as appears by a loose paper found'. Quarrying and evidence of quern stone production can also be found in several areas within the woodland. (1)
Correspondence: Aldred, H. 2016. Email re Leashaw Wood, received via Development Control Archaeologist 25/01/2016. Email.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3334 5573 (763m by 760m)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 8 2016 4:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.