Monument record MDR16581 - Colliery (site of), east of Red Barn Farm, Newton

Type and Period (1)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A colliery, with an engine house and shaft, is situated at this location on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. There is also a short tramway heading south-east. (1) By the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900, the colliery is no longer in use and the tramway has gone. Earthworks and 'old shafts' remain at the site. (2) The area appears to be scrub and rough grassland on Google Maps aerial photographs [2016]. It is not known whether any earthworks remain. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 15/07/2016.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4540 5952 (146m by 96m)
Civil Parish BLACKWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 15 2016 3:04PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.