Find Spot record MDR1659 - Stone and flint artefacts, Middleton Moor, Middleton and Smerrill
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 17 63. A series of Neoltihic to Bronze Age flint and stone implements found in various years on Middleton Moor. Two stone axes, a slate chisel and a whetstone found at or near "Buddles", Middleton Moor in 1858. (1). Two stone axes, a hammer head and many flints found at various times on Middleton Moor. One axehead was damaged , found October 1849, petrological group VII. Another group VII axe was found in October 1839, with a slate knife. (3,4). A rounded muller of gritstone was found on Middelton Moor on 22nd November, 1852. A flint knife or spearhead and a flint dagger found in 1848. 32 flint scrapers found in an unknown date from Middleton Moor. (4).
- <1> SDR10554 Index: NDAT. 1521. 1521.
- <2> SDR13190 Article in serial: Moore, C N and Cummins, W A. 1974. 'Petrological Identification of Stone Implements from Derbyshire and Leicestershire', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 40, pp 59-78. pp 67, 70-71.
- <3> SDR10556 Index: NDAT. 1523. 1523.
- <4> SDR7282 Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. pp 10,15,23,31,32,35,41,43,51.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 16 62 (935m by 615m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2018 7:48PM