Building record MDR16595 - Water tunnels, near Hollywell Cottage, Leashaw, Holloway
Type and Period (2)
- WATER TUNNEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CONDUIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A series of tunnels have been partially explored under the gardens at Hollywell Cottage and Rose Cottage. Photographs show what appears to be water conduits of some sort, some containing water pipes, shafts, and an underground reservoir. See photographs for more details. (1, 2, 3) A letter from The Royal Surgical Aid Society Residential Homes written in 1966 discusses Rose Cottage and the water supply to Lea Hurst Mansion. It appears that prior to Lea Hurst Mansion being supplied water from the Mains, it owned rights to a plot of land forming the site of a spring at Rose Cottage, from which water was supplied via pipes to the Mansion. It therefore seems most likely that the tunnels near Rose Cottage and Hollywell Cottage relate to the former water supply for the village and Lea Hurst House in the valley below. (4) A survey was carried out by TL Excavations Ltd in 2016 to clarify the position and extent of the culvert in relation to a proposed extension at Rose Cottage. Access was gained via a gritstone lined shaft 3.8m deep and 0.7m in diameter. A short gritstone passage 2.3m long leads to an intersection where the culvert goes off in two directions. One section of the culvert runs in a north-easterly direction for 23m, ending in solid rock. The other section runs in a south-easterly direction underneath neighbouring properties. This section of the culvert is partially silted up. It is entirely gritstone arched and a small section of the arching, approximately 7m from the intersection, is showing signs of distress. This section runs for 10m and comes out to the surface. (5)
- <1> SDR23792 Verbal communication: Aldred, H. 2016. Communication with HER Officer in July 2016.
- <2> SDR21014 Photograph: Photograph Collection, Conservation & Design section, Derbyshire County Council. HER Images (Dethick, Lea & Holloway).
- <3> SDR19552 Personal Observation: Barrett, D. Observations from map/aerial photographs, site visit or other personal communication. Site visit 24/10/2014.
- <4> SDR23937 Correspondence: The Royal Surgical Aid Society Residential Homes. 1966. Letter regarding Rose Cottage, Leashaw, Holloway, dated 13/05/1966. Letter.
- <5> SDR23938 Unpublished document: TL Excavations Ltd. 2016. Report on culvert under land at Rose Cottage, Holloway and attached plan.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3290 5619 (33m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2022 1:35PM