Monument record MDR1672 - Bank and ditch boundary, Little Rookery Farm, Middleton and Smerrill
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
A curving bank and ditch boundary, thought to enclose some 40 acres and running from SK 1850 6230 to SK 1875 6160, was identified by L H Butcher and C James, and suggested to be Medieval in date. (1,2). Archaeological survey in 1997 found no trace of the bank and ditch but noted that the land had been heavily improved and the earthworks had probably been ploughed away. A wall curving down from the north probably followed the medieval boundary. (3)
- <1> SDR10571 Index: NDAT. 1539. 1539.
- <2> SDR7983 Article in serial: James, C and Butcher, L H. 1962. East Midlands Archaeology Bulletin. Vol.5, p8. p8.
- <3> SDR20209 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1997. Land belonging to Meadow Place Grange, Middleton and Smerrill and Youlgreave, Derbyshire. p 14, Feature 4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1851 6198 (231m by 673m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 26 2015 3:39PM