Monument record MDR1673 - Grange (site of), Middleton Hall, Middleton and Smerrill
Type and Period (1)
- GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
SK 194 630. Bulmer notes that the Abbott of Leicester held large tracts of land at Middleton and had a Grange and chapel, although no remains were known. (1,2). In the early 19th century, a vaulted passage and the remains of foundations to a supposedly Medieval Grange were found in the grounds of Middleton Hall, near Youlgreave. (3,4). There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (3). Middleton Grange belonged to Leicester Abbey and Hart records that medieval buildings exist as visual earthwork remains. [The location of these earthworks is unknown]. (5).
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p507.
- <2> SDR10701 Index: NDAT. 3341. 3341.
- <3> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25. pp 24-25.
- <4> SDR10572 Index: NDAT. 1540. 1540.
- <5> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p155.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 194 629 (361m by 231m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 27 2017 3:57PM