Monument record MDR1723 - Round barrow, Brood Low, 331m north-east of Mount Pleasant Farm, Tideswell
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 1274 7908: BROOD LOW, ROUND BARROW Brood Low [Mound symbol]. (1). Broad Low, near Tideswell, listed as a barrow. (2). Published survey 1/2500 correct, the profile of this probable tumulus is much softened by plough, maximum height 0.5m. (3). Enough remains of this site to preserve intact deposits, there are no recorded excavations, although ploughing may have masked indicators of previous disturbance. The mound has spread and is 0.5m high to the north-east and 0.7m high downslope to the south-west. Originally it was probably in the region of c.12m in diameter. Dimensions: L:16.0M, B:14.0M, H:0.6M. (5). Probably early Bronze Age round barrow, 16m long by 14m wide and 0.6m high. It has been heavily ploughed down but it may still have intact deposits as no excavations are recorded from here. (6).
- <1> SDR11793 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 290.
- <3> SDR6348 Personal Observation: F1 JB 01-FEB-66.
- <4> SDR10594 Index: NDAT. 1910. 1910.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 1:9.
- <6> SDR20383 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1997. Wheston House Farm, Bradwell and Tideswell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1997. No. 60, p 23.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1274 7907 (11m by 13m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TIDESWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 26 2015 4:25PM