Monument record MDR1725 - ?Barrow, Green Low, Wormhill
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 124 759: GREEN LOW, DUBIOUS BARROW SITE Green Low. (1). [Probably the] Green Low near Wheston listed as a barrow. (2). A tumulus was not found at "Green Low". (3) This site may well have been postulated on place name evidence only. The name "low" is certainly no indicator of the former presence of a barrow. The general area was searched without finding extant remains. (5)
- <1> SDR15317 Map: 1849. Tithe Map & Apportionment, Wormhill.
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 291.
- <3> SDR6348 Personal Observation: F1 JB 01-FEB-66.
- <4> SDR10673 Index: NDAT. 2566. 2566.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 2:A.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 124 758 (317m by 279m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2008 2:33PM