Monument record MDR1727 - Possible barrow, Lower Low, south-west of Middleton House Farm, Wheston
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK c.1290 7628 : LOWER LOW, DUBIOUS BARROW SITE Lower Low near Wheston, listed as a barrow. (1). Field Nos. 1069, 1070 and 1071 are named "Low", but inspection of the Ordnance Survey 1/25,000 map shows that the ground slopes downwards here in a north-east to south-west direction thus inferring that Field 1071 at SK 12907628 is the "Lower Low". (2). Lower Low is under rough pasture, there are no surface indications of a barrow. (3). This site may well have been postulated on place-name evidence only. The name 'Low' is certainly no positive indicator of the former presence of a barrow. A search failed to find a barrow. (6)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 293.
- <2> SDR15324 Map: 1841. Tithe Map and Apportionment Roll.
- <3> SDR6255 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 18-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p 177.
- <5> SDR10599 Index: NDAT. 2052. 2052.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 2:D.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1289 7626 (110m by 110m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WHESTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2015 9:12AM