Monument record MDR1730 - Possible barrow, Rocky Low, south-west of Middleton House Farm, Wheston
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK c.1296 7635: ROCKY LOW, DUBIOUS BARROW SITE Rocky Low, near Wheston, listed as a barrow. (2). SK 12967635 The name of field No. 1070 is "Low" described as Rocky Pasture and the Ordnance Survey 6" 1883 shows rock details just inside the whole of its eastern limit. Hence the term "Rocky Low" (1,3). Mentioned in Sale Catalogue, 1828 (1). (1,4). Rockey Low is entirely devoted to former surface quarrying; these are no indications of a barrow. (5). This site may well have been postulated on place-name evidence only. The name "Low" is certainly no positive indicator of the former presence of a barrow. The whole field has been quarried. (7)
- <1> SDR15324 Map: 1841. Tithe Map and Apportionment Roll.
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 294.
- <3> SDR12041 Map: 1883. OS 6", 1st edition.
- <4> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p 177.
- <5> SDR6255 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 18-JUL-66.
- <6> SDR10597 Index: NDAT. 2050. 2050.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 2:E.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1295 7634 (87m by 73m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WHESTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2015 9:10AM