Monument record MDR175 - Ring cairn (remains of), Cadster, or Ladder Hill, Whaley Bridge
Type and Period (2)
- EMBANKED STONE CIRCLE (Former Type) (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- RING CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A "stone circle" stands 1,050 feet above the sea level on the hillside at Cadster, near Whaley Bridge, but in Chapel-en-le-Frith parish [NB parish boundaries have since changed]. Its vallum has an elliptical diameter, varying from 35 to 40 feet, with entrances north-north-east and south-west. The stones are of the same arrangement and size as those of "The Nine Ladies" [SMR 12908] and the diameter of their circle varies from 30 feet to 33 feet six inches. The centre is nearly level, but some large stones below the turf may have supported a monolith, perhaps the stone, measuring four feet long, two feet six inches wide, and one foot deep, now lying at the foot of the vallum 90 feet below. Nearly south by west of the circle, almost prostrate, is another stone three feet six inches high by two feet six inches. A trench cut through the vallum revealed it to be revetted on both faces and filled with loose stones. (1) Vestiges of a small circle on the hillside above Tunstead and Cadster House adjoining the lane from Combs to Fernilee were pointed out by Mr Andrew in 1910. It had then been almost obliterated by cattle, etc. but the general outline could be traced. A [trepanned] skull called 'Dickie' now at Tunstead Farm may have come from "this tumulus". (2, 3) An unclassified rubble and earth circle has been recorded in the Cadster area of Whaley Bridge parish. It is not clear whether this is part of, or associated with, the circles visible at SK 026792 (SMR 3501). (4) The site has been suggested to be an embanked stone circle. It was dug into in around 1905 by Andrew. His description is garbled and implies a ruined stone circle or ring cairn. However, the extant remains indicate this is a badly ruined cairn with a diameter of 14.5 x 13.0m. There are three or four kerbstones standing up to 0.45m high near the outer edge. (7, 8)
- <1> SDR940 Bibliographic reference: Andrew, W. 1907. 'The Prehistoric Stone Circles' in Cox, J (ed) Memorials of Old Derbyshire. pp 70-88.
- <2> SDR3581 Bibliographic reference: Bunting, W B. 1940. Chapel-en-le-Frith.
- <3> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 7.1, with photos.
- <4> SDR14632 Index: NDAT. 2023. 2023.
- <5> SDR9330 Bibliographic reference: N Derby Arch Trust SMR (Microfiche reel 6, not dated).
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 109.
- <7> SDR17013 Monograph: Barnatt, J. 1990. The Henges, Stone Circles and Ringcairns of the Peak District.
- <8> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 20:1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0232 7942 (58m by 86m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WHALEY BRIDGE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 9 2010 3:14PM