Monument record MDR1751 - Cherryslack Romano-British settlement and field system, north-west of Monksdale House, Wheston
Type and Period (2)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 132 755 : CHERRYSLACK, LYNCHETS Narrow lynchetted fields at Cherryslack. Possibly Roman in date. (1,2). To the south is a well-defined rectangular platform, possibly the site of a building, with two barrow terraces above. To the north is an irregular-shaped yard or garden plot, with a small rectangular house-platform above cut into the slope, with a probable field bank. The features cannot be dated directly, although similar features elsewhere have been dated as Roman. (3). Romano-British settlement located at SK 1315 7558. The visible components include building platforms, dispersed buildings, rectangular and possibly round buildings, stone banks and irregular enclosures. Romano-British field system identified at SK 1315 7550. The component includes lynchets, single orthostatic walls, terraces and rectilinear enclosures. (4).
- <1> SDR10605 Index: NDAT. 2059. 2059.
- <2> SDR17288 Archive: Butcher, L H. 1":1mile map; Roman Sites in North Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and Staffordshire, Sheffield City Museum Collection. Acc. No. SHEFM:1976.1061 D13.
- <3> SDR20384 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1992. Wheston Hall Farm, Wheston, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1992. No. 8, pp 3-4.
- <4> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols.. No. 23 and 23a, pp 13-16.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 131 755 (120m by 252m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WHESTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2015 9:14AM