Monument record MDR1792 - Shrunken medieval village, Tunstead, Wormhill
Type and Period (3)
- EARTHWORK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SHRUNKEN VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Irregular undulations in rough pasture at Tunstead, possibly the site of buildings. (1) Tunstead, Shrunken Medieval Village: the earliest documentary record of the site dates from 1251. (2) The Tunstead crofts reveal innumerable earthwork remains of many small buildings and houses that were constructed and later cleared away for redevelopment of the farmsteads during the 18th and 19th centuries. These earthworks have gradually been overlain by water-borne soils from an adjoining ridge. Clearance and ploughing of the area would be unremunerative, and thus the earlier features remain intact, with the likelihood of good stratigraphy. (3) A shrunken Medieval village has been recorded at Tunstead. Ten crofts have been recognised, although their visibility was described as being poor. (4) Some traces of ground disturbance are visible on air photographs immediately to the south-east of Tunstead Farm. (5,6)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2552, 2553.
- <2> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII..
- <3> SDR19269 Unpublished document: Hart, C (NDAC). 1976. Archaeological survey of Wormhill, a Peakland Parish under threat. pp 7-8; fig 7.
- <4> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 128.
- <5> SDR12109 Aerial Photograph: OS. 1971. A.P's: 71 098 369-370.
- <6> SDR13297 Personal Observation: R1 JSH 17-NOV-83.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1093 7505 (333m by 260m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 23 2015 9:29AM