Monument record MDR1795 - Milestone, Hargatewall, Wormhill
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Triangular milestone, probably late 18th century, with damaged lettering. Sited on the 1758 to 1759 turnpike. Dimensions: Height: 1.3m (4ft.). (1) Stone slab milestone, damaged around the top. The lettering is almost indecipherable on the western side and gone totally on the eastern side. The stone is beginning to crumble, and many of the letters are worn. (2). In March 2004 the stone was described as broken at the base, so that visible height was only 9 inches. Width was 9 inches maximum, and depth 17½ inches. The milestone was originally wedge-shaped. (6)
- <1> SDR10674 Index: NDAT. 2568. 2568.
- <2> SDR12802 Personal Observation: Heron, M. 1991. Pers. Comm..
- <3> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Hart, C; 1983; D93.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1983: 16.0-2.
- <5> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 15673.1-2.
- <6> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/WOR/01.
|Grid reference||SK 1163 7513 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2011 3:35PM