Monument record MDR1808 - Barrow, Abney Moor, Abney and Abney Grange
Type and Period (3)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
SK 19... 80... : ABNEY MOOR, BARROW One of two barrows on Abney Moor explored by Pennington. (1) A small mound of peat and sandstone. An excavation by Pennington prior to 1877 recovered "bits of bone; a flint flake and an arrowhead ... from a very perfect little cist", the bones were decayed. (1) The account in (1) has been linked with two barrows SK 17 NE 2 & 10 there appears to be no definite proof of this. (2) Not located. (3) This lost site could be anywhere on Abney Moor, extant candidates are site 30:8 [SMR 2], or those within cairnfield 43 (5). (6)
- <1> SDR12600 Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire.
- <2> SDR15489 Index: Preston, F L (HAS). 1956. D/5. D/5.
- <3> SDR6317 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 19-JAN-66.
- <4> SDR10465 Index: NDAT. 0005. 0005.
- <5> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p72.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 30:24.
- <7> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p7.
- <8> SDR16591 Index: OS. SK 17 NE 1. SK 17 NE 1.
- <9> SDR16710 Index: Hart, C. (NDAC). 1977. Peak Park Treasures B317. B317.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 19 79 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ABNEY AND ABNEY GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2015 4:30PM