Monument record MDR1809 - Possible round barrow or natural feature, Abney Moor, Abney and Abney Grange
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
ABNEY MOOR, ?ROUND BARROW OR NATURAL Barrow on Abney Moor, located by Mr. A. Miller [Hunter Arch. Soc.] in 1955, Diameter. 6.1M [20ft] height 0.3M [1ft.]. It may be one of the barrows in SK 17 NE 1 / 48 (1) SK 18587949 Possible barrow. (2) Not located; the indicated area has been dragged, the A.P. marking was not identified. (3) The site identified by Miller is probably that at SK 187 792. This low amorphous mound of c.5.5.M diameter is almost certainly natural. The site identified from an AP [at SK 1858 7949] is a shallow hollow filled with reeds and again is natural. There is now no sign of the postulated disturbance of this area of the moor. There is no good evidence that the site dug by Pennington [SK 17 NE 1/ SMR no.3] was in this vicinity. (6)
- <1> SDR4105 Correspondence: Preston, F L. 1956. Correspondence.
- <2> SDR817 Aerial Photograph:
- <3> SDR6317 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 19-JAN-66.
- <4> SDR16591 Index: OS. SK 17 NE 1. SK 17 NE 1.
- <5> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p72.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 30:C.
- <7> SDR16588 Index: NDAT. 0004. 0004.
- <8> SDR16707 Index: Hart, C (NDAC). 1977. Peak Park Treasures B315. B315.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1858 7949 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ABNEY AND ABNEY GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 12 2019 3:50PM