Monument record MDR1813 - ?Barrow, Cop Low, east of Lower Farm, Hazlebadge
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW ? (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
Cop Low near Great Hucklow. Listed as a barrow. (1). COP LOW (Tumulus) (Human remains Found) [Source of information not ascertained]. (3). The monument is an oval barrow located above Coplow Dale in the north-eastern shelves of the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. It includes an oval mound which is slightly wider at the eastern end and measures 18m from east to west and between 8m and 10m from north to south. It is c.0.5m high but sits at the summit of a rise which adds to its apparent height. It also appears to be partly natural, incorporating some large earth-fast limestone boulders in addition to loose rock and soil. In the past, the monument was identified as the barrow called 'Cop Low' which was excavated by Bagshawe in 1863. It is now thought, however, that this may have been a different site and that the monument has not been excavated. Oval barrows date to the Neolithic period. (5) The published site is the natural termination of a ridge at a slight elevation. It may have carried a small barrow but there is no surviving evidence of this. Published survey, 25', revised. (6) The attribution of Bagshawe's excavation 1860 at Cop Low (2) may stem in part from confusion with his 1863 excavation at Cop Low, Grindlow, 2.7km away (SMR 6604). If so, then this could be little more than a fortuitous knoll. (7,9). Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (10)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 290.
- <2> SDR4433 Article in serial: Addy, S. 1908. 'The names of the Derbyshire and Staffordshire barrows', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 30, pp 103-141.
- <3> SDR11739 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1922. 25".
- <4> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <5> SDR706 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 31.
- <6> SDR6317 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 19-JAN-66.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 57.
- <8> SDR16623 Index: NDAT. 1229. 1229.
- <9> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 3:7.
- <10> SDR22211 Unpublished document: Wheal, S (PDNPA). 2010. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Cop Low Oval Barrow.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1662 7913 (4m by 6m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HAZLEBADGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2017 3:17PM