Monument record MDR1817 - Round barrow, Abney Moor, Abney and Abney Grange
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 188 793: ABNEY MOOR, ROUND BARROW SK 188 793 Barrow on Abney Moor, located by Mr. A. Miller. [Hunter Arch. Soc.] in 1955. Diameter 20-25 ft., height 1ft. May be one of the barrows [in SK 17 NE 1] (1) SK 18857944. Possible barrow. (2) Not located; the indicated area has been disturbed by dragging. The A.P. marking was not identified on the ground. (3) The site identified by Miller is very probably that identified by Barnatt in 1983 - SMR no.24 (NGR SK 1880 7920). Although it is possible that both equate with a site excavated by Pennington last century - SMR no.4 / SK 17 NE 48 - there is no positive support for this and other candidates seem more likely. The site identified from an AP at SK 1885 7944 was probably fortuitous vegetation variation. There is now no sign of the postulated disturbance of this area of the moor. (6, 7)
- <1> SDR4105 Correspondence: Preston, F L. 1956. Correspondence.
- <2> SDR783 Aerial Photograph: A.P's CPE/UK/2598/3013-4.
- <3> SDR6317 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 19-JAN-66.
- <4> SDR10462 Index: NDAT. 0002. 0002.
- <5> SDR10463 Index: NDAT. 0003. 0003.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 30:8.
- <7> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p72, 93.
- <8> SDR16591 Index: OS. SK 17 NE 1. SK 17 NE 1.
- <9> SDR16708 Index: Hart, C (NDAC). 1977. Peak Park Treasures B316. B316.
- <10> SDR16709 Index: Hart, C (NDAC). 1977. Peak Park Treasures B319. B319.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 188 793 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ABNEY AND ABNEY GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2015 4:29PM