Monument record MDR1824 - ?Barrow, 'Great Low', Church Lane, Tideswell
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Great Low, near Tideswell, is included on a list of barrow sites by Bateman in 1861. (1) Tideswell Tithe Map of 1841 shows the area around grid ref SK157753 as 'Great Green Low' which at that time was pasture. A barrow "in pasture" would probably appear "green", and the suffix "Green" could have been omitted when printing Bateman's book. (2). In 1966 Great Green Low was under pasture, there is a high grassed-over ridge of outcrop to the north, no evidence of tumuli. (3) General area indicates some lead mining, of which some appears to fit into the medieval field system. This site may well have been postulated on place-name evidence only. Barnatt failed to locate a barrow. (4)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 291.
- <2> SDR6982 Map: Tilley, H A (observer in 1966). 1841. Tithe Map and Appointment.
- <3> SDR6255 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 18-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 2:I.
- <5> SDR16655 Index: NDAT. 1907. 1907.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 157 753 (216m by 204m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TIDESWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 10:21AM